Oklahoma City Personal Injury Attorneys
Representing Injury Victims in Oklahoma City and Surrounding Areas
If you were injured due to someone else’s negligence, our team at the Self Legal Group can fight to recover the compensation you deserve. Our Oklahoma City personal injury lawyers frequently handle claims involving automobile accidents, truck accidents, motorcycle accidents, slip and falls, and more. When you meet with us, we will determine whether you have a claim, help you understand your legal options, and review the types of damages you may be able to recover all at no cost to you.
With over 150 years of collective courtroom experience, our Oklahoma City personal injury attorneys know how to approach these cases and have what it takes to win. We are skilled litigators who use our diverse array of skills to deliver exceptional results. Your recovery is important to us, and we always pursue the best possible outcome.
You have limited time to take legal action, so do not wait to discuss your case with us. Contact us online or call (405) 451-3534 to schedule a Free Initial Phone Consultation with a seasoned personal injury lawyer in Oklahoma City today.
Personal Injury Cases We Handle
When you suffer losses in an accident that was not your fault, you typically have the right to sue the negligent party (either a person or organization). If the lawsuit is successful, you will be able to recover damages. The standards for winning a personal injury lawsuit will depend on the type of accident.
Our Oklahoma City personal injury attorneys can assist you with many types of claims, including those involving:
- Automobile Accidents. Many vehicular collisions are the result of negligent driving. Excessive speeding, failing to signal, or any other failure to follow traffic rules can make a driver liable for your injuries.
- Truck Accidents. Truck drivers have many rules and regulations that they must follow in operating a truck. Mandatory sleep, maintenance and others are sometimes violated and that violation leads to you being injured. These violations impose liability on the driver for your injuries and property damage.
- Motorcycle Accidents. Motorcycles are small and often get overlooked by other drivers. This can lead to severe injuries for the motorcyclist. Failing to properly scan for motorcycles can lead to liability for the driver who fails to see the motorcycle.
- Slip and Falls. If you fall and get hurt because of a dangerous condition or hazard, the property owner may be liable for your injuries. Property owners have a legal responsibility to maintain “safe premises,” so you may have a case if you slipped on a surface that was not cleaned up or because of uneven flooring that was not repaired.
What Qualifies as a Personal Injury Case?
If you were injured due to the negligence of another person or party, you may be eligible for a personal injury lawsuit.
Common injury claims require these 4 elements:
- The negligent party was responsible for or owed a duty to the victim, or injured party
- The victim was breached that duty
- The breach of duty caused the victim’s injuries
- The victim was damaged in some way due to the breach of duty
What is a Breach of Duty?
A breach of duty refers to what was expected of the other party. For example, an owner of a grocery store has a duty to inspect their premises and ensure that the inside and outside are safe for their patrons. If a customer trips on uneven pavement or slips and falls due to a spill that was not cleaned up, they may have an injury lawsuit against the grocery store owner.
If you or a loved one were injured in an accident, reach out to an Oklahoma personal injury lawyer at Self Legal Group for a free initial phone consultation. We can help determine if you have a solid injury lawsuit. Our injury attorneys have many years of experience and are ready to help you win the compensation you deserve. Reach out to us today at (405) 451-3534.
Call (405) 451-3534 to get started on your free initial evaluation with a personal injury lawyer in Oklahoma City.
What Does a Personal Injury Attorney Do?
If you were injured in an accident in Oklahoma and it was due to the negligence of another party, you may be advised to hire a personal injury attorney. But what is a personal injury lawyer and what do they do?
A personal injury attorney would provide you with advice and legal representation with an injury claim. An injury lawyer can help you pursue compensation, trying to get you the best possible result if you are the victim of an accident.
Start With a Free Initial Phone Consultation
At Self Legal Group, you may request a free initial phone consultation with one of our seasoned Oklahoma City personal injury lawyers. During the consultation, we will get as much information from you as possible regarding details about the accident, the injuries you have suffered, and if fault may be determined for the accident. Then, we will determine whether you have a case and let you know the steps to move forward with our firm.
Our injury attorneys may need these in order to understand more or solidify your case:
- Medical bills
- History of medical treatment for injuries sustained after the accident
- Police report
- Statements from witnesses
- Pictures, and more
How an Oklahoma Personal Injury Attorney Can Help You
The specific actions that an Oklahoma personal injury attorney needs to take depend on the circumstances of the case, however, below are other actions that a personal injury lawyer may take to benefit your injury case:
- Gather evidence
- Negotiated with insurance companies on your behalf
- Send demand letters to insurance companies
- Prepare complaints against the defendant
- Conducting discovery or sending written questions to the defending for specific information, deposing parties, witnesses, or experts
If you or a loved one were seriously injured in an accident that you were not responsible for, do not hesitate to reach out to an experienced personal injury attorney in Oklahoma City at Self Legal Group. We are backed by years of experience and are ready to help you pursue the best possible outcome when it comes to fighting for damages. Contact us today to request a free initial phone consultation.
What Type of Damages Are Awarded to an Injured Party?
In a personal injury lawsuit, “damages” refer to the injured party’s losses -- injury, property damage, or other losses. This may include something like the loss of your wages if your injury prevents you from returning to work right away, future medical bills, and more.
Types of Damages
There are two basic types of damages: compensatory and punitive. Compensatory damages compensate the victim for what they have suffered, while punitive damages are to punish the other party for negligent behavior -- it is not tied to the harm that has been suffered. Punitive damages are typically awarded in a few cases.
Common damages awarded in an injury lawsuit:
- Wage loss, including future earnings
- Cost of disability accommodations
- Cost of medical bills, including future care
- Household expenses
- Pain and suffering, mental anguish
- Loss of companionship
- Costs tied to canceled trips or altered plans due to injuries
- Property damage
Injured? Get in touch with Self Legal Group as soon as possible. An Oklahoma City personal injury lawyer at our firm is happy to speak with you during a free initial consultation. We can confirm if you have a strong injury lawsuit and prepare you to win compensation for the damages you have endured. Call (405) 451-3534 today to set up an appointment.
How Personal Injury Claims Work in Oklahoma
Oklahoma enforces strict deadlines for personal injury claims. You only have two years from the date of an accident to file a lawsuit, so you will need to act quickly. If an accident results in death, you will have two years from the date of the victim’s passing to file a wrongful death lawsuit. You will in most cases not be able to recover any compensation if you do not file in time.
Many personal injury claims are settled and never go to court. Our Oklahoma personal injury lawyers at the Self Legal Group are made up of skilled negotiators who will aggressively pursue the full value of your claim. If a fair settlement cannot be reached, we are prepared to take your case to trial.
Oklahoma is a comparative negligence state, meaning you can still recover some compensation even if you were partially responsible for the accident. The court will determine your level of responsibility and assign you a percentage of fault. As long as you are less than 50% at fault, you can recover damages. However, your compensation will be reduced by your level of fault. For example, a $50,000 award would be reduced to $40,000 if the court decided you were 20% responsible for the accident.
Our injury attorneys in Oklahoma City will fight to recover compensation for all losses, including:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Reductions in earning capacity
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Punitive damages
Let an Oklahoma personal injury lawyer from our firm handle your claim so you can focus on getting better. Call (405) 451-3534 or contact us online today.
Why Choose SLGLaw for Life & Business
- 150+ Years of Combined Experience
- Free Initial Phone Consultations
- Located in SW Oklahoma City
- Knowledgeable Attorneys in Varied Fields
“Our experience with Self Legal Group could not have been better.”- Bill G.
“Debbie Self is absolutely one of the best attorneys in the metro area. I highly recommend this firm for any of your legal needs.”- Nicki H.
“Excellent all-around great advice from a legal perspective.”- Quinton A.
“I cannot say enough positive things about my experience with Debbie Self. She is an outstanding Lawyer, and very professional.”- Kim R.
Schedule Your Consultation
With over 150 years of combined experience, you can trust our attorneys to provide quality services!