Relocations Oklahoma City Attorneys
Make Child Custody a Little Easier
Self Legal Group prides itself on providing exceptional legal services to the people of Oklahoma City. We have years of experience under our belt in the matters of family law that allow us to offer insight into any case. Regardless of your circumstances, we’ve already been there, done that, and survived to tell the tale. If you’re considering a relocation after a divorce, and you’re curious about effects. Bring us into the fold in order to start accessing the child custody advice you need.
Factors That Courts Use to Determine the Approval for a Relocation
- Distance - The court will take into consideration the distance between your new home in another area and the old home. If you intend to move a smaller distance between both houses, the court is far more likely to approve your request.
- Quality of Life - The court will also attempt to determine if the quality of life will actually improve for the children. Matters like the quality of the education in the new area and the types of leisure opportunities available in the new location will affect the final decision.
- Maturity of Child - The court will likely want to speak with the child to assess the child’s preference about the moving process. If the child is older, his or her opinion on whether they’d like to live with the new or relocating parent will be taken into account.
Family Law for Parental Relocations
Sometimes, you have to move to seek out a better life, a new job, or a fresh start. However, doing so after a divorce that involved a custody battle won’t be easy. As with everything regarding family law, the matters are fraught with emotional turmoil and legal nuance. Thus, to begin, we recommend having numerous solid resources regarding why you’re looking to relocate you and your child.
Whether you or your ex is proposing a move, there is a variety of steps that will be used to help determine the best course of action for the child. As we stated above, there are a variety of factors the court will use to determine whether or not a move is in the cards, especially if it’s a long-distance move. While the above factors are major indicators of a move’s approval rate, the reasons for the move also bear significant weight. For example, if the move would put the child closer to other family members and broaden the support unit, it will likely have a better chance of coming to fruition. Other reasons that might sway a court include one spouse to seeking out a better housing option or a job that would benefit the child. Regular visitation should ideally still be possible. How that’s organized will depend on the court’s ruling, the child’s opinion (if they’re old enough), and discussion between you and your ex-spouse.
Facing a Move? Get the Legal Support You Need From Self Legal Group’s Divorce Attorneys in Oklahoma City
Explore your options and schedule an initial consultation to learn more about the moving process, what you can expect as far as custody, and more. Call a divorce attorney you can trust today.
To learn more about Oklahoma family law, visit our Family Law Information Center and FAQ page. For a free consultation with an expert bankruptcy attorney in Oklahoma City, contact us today.
Why Choose SLGLaw for Life & Business
- 150+ Years of Combined Experience
- Free Initial Phone Consultations
- Located in SW Oklahoma City
- Knowledgeable Attorneys in Varied Fields
“Our experience with Self Legal Group could not have been better.”- Bill G.
“Debbie Self is absolutely one of the best attorneys in the metro area. I highly recommend this firm for any of your legal needs.”- Nicki H.
“Excellent all-around great advice from a legal perspective.”- Quinton A.
“I cannot say enough positive things about my experience with Debbie Self. She is an outstanding Lawyer, and very professional.”- Kim R.
Schedule Your Consultation
With over 150 years of combined experience, you can trust our attorneys to provide quality services!